Baby rattle is not something new. It dates back at least 2500 years, which shows how essential it is for your baby’s development. These days there are electric rattles with music and soothing sounds. This article is about some of the best rattles for babies which are safe for teething and health.
How Easy is to Find a Good Baby Rattle?
Most baby rattles have built-in teethers for teething babies. Now, this means there are certain things to keep in mind before using one for baby regarding health. As baby has put the rattle toy in his or her mouth, so you have to make sure the materials are clean from any harmful chemicals including; BPA, PVC and Phthalates.
Another thing to check in a rattle toy is how durable it is? Many rattles have tiny beads which make them ring or make noise. The rattle should be durable enough so it doesn’t break when baby throws it on the ground, which may cause choking hazard for them.
We have spent more than 20 hours on searching best baby rattles and described the good and bad of these depending on different parents’ experiences. It will help you select the only best ones for your baby.
Types of Best Rattles for Babies:
While searching we found different types, which are given below:
These are classic and one of the best types because of their natural material. Whenever selecting a wooden rattle and teether, go for unfinished wood or with water based paint. However, you should make sure the material isn’t that soft so your baby can chew or accidentally swallow its particles.
These are common and popular these days. Because, safety standards are improved by time, the plastic used in these is usually BPA-free. But, as described earlier, you should find a durable one for your baby. Plastic is widely used in other baby essential toys like crib mobiles and many others.
Not too common but these are light-weight, lovely and huggable. These are usually in animal, caterpillar or insect shapes. Most babies love these adorable plush rattles.
1. iPlay, iLearn 10pcs Baby Rattles Teether, Shaker, Musical Toy Set
This rattles set comes with ten bright color rattles. Having more rattles for means more choices for your baby. So, baby will not get bored easily. Because rattles have different shapes; these have various grips so your baby decides whichever he likes to play with. The different textures promote tactile development of touch, smell and taste for your baby. The material of these rattles is BPA-free.
- Parents love this large collection of rattles all in one.
- Even you go to travels, having so many of these rattles will be sure to keep your baby busy.
- The size of these rattles is about right for your baby, as the pieces are not too small for them.
- The plain surface of the rattles makes cleaning easy.
- Some parents complain that after washing these rattles, water goes inside and doesn’t come back.
2. VTech Baby Rattle & Sing Puppy
It is an easy to grip rattle which rattles, sings and its cheeks also light up. This rattle has more than 20 songs, melodies and different phrases and sounds. Many sounds play by simply shaking it, and for some melodies it has a button. Its crinkly ears promote visual and tactile development in baby. To develop motor skills, it has 2 rings which rattle and turn. It has two LR44 batteries already included but it is suggested to use new batteries for its maximum use.
- Most parents like it because even their few months babies are happy with it.
- It is sturdy and useful for a long time.
- It is so cute, whenever your baby is getting bored, he or she can play with it to start to feel better again.
- Some parents complained it stopped to function in a matter of days.
- Some parents had hard time turning it on and it works randomly.
3. Oball Shaker
The tiny balls into this rattle make beautiful sounds. The middle texture with beads is transparent so baby can watch and enjoy those beads moving up and down. It is easy to clean by using a damp cloth. The material is BPA-free in this rattle. Its two Oballs are easy to grip and are teethable.
- Some parents are happy about the holes of its soft plastic balls which are good for baby’s smallest fingers to grasp it.
- It is also a great toy for baby’s car seat whenever you are going for travels.
- A few parents think it is has cheap materials.
4. Playgro My First Bead Buddies Giraffe
From small sounds of tiny beads to big sounds of click-clack rings it is a great rattle to promote auditory stimulation for your baby. It has a combination of different fabrics making it colorful. Babies can grasp it easily with their little hands. This rattle has crinkle feet with vibrant patterns also.
- Most parents agree their baby likes this toy for so many months.
- Even though it has click clack ring but it is still too soft that babies like to cuddle it.
- It can be good in their stroller so they keep playing with this colorful toy.
- Very few people still complained that the material wasn’t that good and they noticed these got tear apart and material was coming from inside.
5. The First Years My First Rattle
It is a multi-texture rattle which has soft teething surfaces. Its patterns are high contrast which promotes visual tracking for your baby. This soft and cute rattle is also great for your newborn baby. It is easy to grasp for small hands.
- Parents are glad because of its circle design and they say it is easy to grasp even for their few months baby.
- This cute and soft rattle is sure to give your baby a smile.
- Some parents say the foam is not of good quality.
- A few parents complained the material wasn’t that good.
6. Skip Hop Explore and More Roll Around Rattle Toy
This round rattle is suitable for babies from 3 months and up. Its rubber surface is good for teething and holes make it easy to grasp. The beads make rattling sounds and it is easy to clean with a damp cloth by wiping it.
- Parents like it as it has multiple surfaces for teething. Because of its beautiful shape babies would like to play with it.
- The openings on its surface help your baby to take it and throw it away and it makes lovely rattling sounds.
- Give your baby when he is on his seat or floor and see how he enjoys playing with it.
- Only a small number of parents have complained that the plastic material is not as durable as it looks like.
- While some parents noticed that its beads bar gets broken easily and beads come lose which may be dangerous for babies.
7. Bright Starts Rattle and Shake Barbell Rattle
This rattle has clear plastic which makes it see-through the colorful beads. Babies can grasp it easily because of its textured handle. The mirror along-with the beads reflects more light.
- According to some parents it lasts for a long time from months to years.
- It is too lightweight and for this reason your baby can play with it easily.
- Some parents think that materials of this rattle are hard plastic.
8. SmartNoggin NogginStik Developmental Light-up Rattle
This light-up rattle has multiple functions and it comes with a booklet for instructions which parents can follow. It is a motion-activated Noggin Stick which lights up in three various colors. This interactive toy is sure to provide hours of fun to parents and babies. Its soft noise is pleasant for baby’s ears.
- Many parents happily say that this toy has been with their baby for months and they are still interested in it.
- It changes colors when baby shakes this rattle, for this reason it doesn’t even give them fun but would help your baby with cause and effect and many other development skills.
- Some parents complain it stops working in less than a month.
- A few parents say the light-up function worsens with time.
9. VTech Lil’ Critters Singin’ Monkey Rattle
This monkey rattle has light-up tummy button to play music, songs, silly sounds and various encouraging phrases. This rattle features motion sensor whenever your baby shakes it, it plays various fun phrases and sounds. It’s convenient easy to grasp handle is good for your baby’s little hands.
- Along-with its features, it is too cute so it is difficult for baby to not like it.
- Parents agree that it has a good size handle which babies can easily grasp.
- We didn’t find any complain about it so far.
10. 10 Baby Rattles, Infants Teething Play Toys
It is a set of ten different rattles, teethers and shakers which are suitable for different stages of baby’s skills development. Baby can play with these toys anywhere, indoors or outdoors. How about taking with you in car, as baby gets engaged playing without getting bored. These are good for newborns and up to 18 months baby. The size of these toys is about right for baby’s little hands to hold easily.
Cleaning Instructions: Simply add these in a large bowl, and add water with 60 to 80 degrees centigrade for three to five minutes. Make sure these are cooled down before you hand these over to your baby. It isn’t suggested to use a sterilizer to wash these.
- Most parents like this set for their baby because it has a collection of different shapes with lovely colors.
- They also like the box which comes with it to store these conveniently.
- Some parents complain that the quality of these rattles is not that good.
11. Manhattan Toy Classic Baby Beads Wood Rattle
This rattle has number of beads connected together by using elastic so your baby can twist and turn easily. It promotes fine gross motor skills in them. The multi-colored wooden beads are non-toxic and these have bright colors. Babies will grab, twist, pull and rattle these beads and will have fun for hours.
- Most parents love it and they say these are so beautiful and are safe for kids.
- It has different bright colors which baby would easily like.
- Some parents complain it is heavy for their baby.
- A few parents feel these are easy to scratch.
12. Organic Wood Montessori Styled Baby Rattle by Homi Baby
This handmade rattle has soft wood material is safe for teething babies. It is handmade in USA and is sealed by using Organic Virgin Coconut Oil after assembling and sanding. It measures 1.5 inches x 6 inches.
- Many parents like its beautiful wooden construction.
- It makes lovely wood sounds.
- Some parents complain the rattle is of rough quality and they think it might be harmful for their baby.
- A few parents say its parts break easily.
13. WISHTIME Rattle Teether Set Baby Toys
It is a set of nine different rattles and teethers in different shapes and bright colors. These rattles and teethers are BPA free and these are Tested with FDA and ASTM. These have durable ABS plastic construction and the material is non-toxic. The material is 100 percent safe for babies.
- Most parents love these for their baby and they say the toys make beautiful rattling sounds.
- The easy grip handles let your baby hold these easily.
- Some parents complain the toys aren’t of good quality materials and are easy to break.
- For a few parents the parts weren’t completed or of different color as compared in the picture.
14. Sassy Rattlin Rings
This rattle has different textures so your baby can explore different colors and feel the textures. It has high contrast black and white colors and click-clack rings which helps your baby to learn about cause and effect. It has colorful beads in its transparent plastic so baby can watch it when he shakes the rattle. It is suitable for newborn and above baby. The ring shape of this rattle makes it easy for baby to grip it.
- Many parents are happy with its simple and lightweight design.
- Some parents say their baby gets used to it over time.
- Some parents complain the plastic of this rattle is not so soft for their baby.
- Few parents say the black color falls off by time from that rattle.
15. B. toys – Light-Up Cloud Rattle for Babies
This rattle has beautiful six colorful beads and big cloud shape smiling light-up rattle on its side. This rattle is safe for baby and it is BPA-free and phthalates-free. It is suitable for babies who are three months and above.
- Many parents like how their baby gets happy with this lovely cloud shape rattle.
- The lightweight and soft plastic makes it great for a baby.
- A few parents complain its glow feature didn’t work or didn’t last for long.
16. Infantino Hug and Tug Musical Bug
It is a different kind of rattle which has pull-down feature. All you need to do is attach it with its clip, your baby pulls it down and the music starts to play for around 90 seconds till it slowly moves back. Also, you as a parent can extend it by its both sides and it does the same. The music is soft for baby’s ears. Its other features include; two clacker rings and a peek n’ see mirror. It has knotty legs also. Its material is BPA-free for your child’s safety.
- Many parents like it for one reason; it doesn’t require batteries and still makes beautiful music only by pulling it down.
- The size of this musical toy is right for babies as they can hug it.
- Some parents complain it isn’t easy to pull it down.
- A few parents do not like its music.
17. VTech Baby Lil’ Critters Moosical Beads
This beautiful looking cow shape musical toy has different fabric textures which are appealing to baby’s eyes. The bead ring in this toy is easy to grasp for babies. Its bead ring features light-up buttons along-with a square that spins. It promotes fine motor skills development for your baby. This singing and talking cow shape stuffed toy has more than 30 different playful songs, sounds, phrases and melodies so your baby can really enjoy. It is big size for baby but still can fit in a diaper bag and it is also great for baby cribs.
- It has many features including; square that spins and number of songs and phrases which keep your busy playing with this toy.
- Some parents say their baby falls in love with it quickly.
- Some parents complain the voice of cow isn’t that good.
- A few parents say its batteries do not last long.
18. Happytime 8pcs Latest Rattle & Teether Toys
It is a set of eight different rattles and teethers with various shapes and colors. The handles are easy to grasp for baby. These toys feature the nature theme and construction is non-toxic with ABS plastic. These are environmental friendly and are safe for your babies when they are teething on it. It promotes different development skills in babies such as gross motor skills, sensory skills and color recognition abilities. The small size of these teethers and rattles is right for baby’s little hands.
- Some parents like how these are arranged in one place in that owl box.
- These toys have a variety of teethers for your baby to choose their favorite ones.
- Some parents didn’t like the quality.
19. HABA Magica Clutching Toy
It is another teething wooden toy with colorful beads similar to the one we talked earlier. For using it your baby has to be at least six months old or above. This clutching toy measures 4 x 3 inches. The colors are water-based as these are made by keeping your baby’s safety in mind. So, the colors remain resistant when your baby plays or teeth on this toy.
- Not only babies love those colorful balls in this toy; they like to play for several minutes while clutching and turning like they are solving a puzzle.
- Babies would love the clacking sound these beads make.
- Some parents think their baby do not like that toy.
- A few parents complain that the painting starts to remove in the first few weeks.
20. Lamaze Rainbow Glow Rattle
This rattle features motion activated illumination to grab your baby’s attention easily. Babies will simply shake it and will see 3 different rainbow shades which keep changing to promote visual perception in baby. Its soft and chewy eyes help your baby with teething. It’s easy to grip handles are soft for baby and it has curvy edges so baby can easily grasp it. It promotes fine motor skills in babies. Because its base is broad, it can easily sit up make it an attractive baby item.
- Many parents say it is not only a beautiful light-up toy but it is easy for baby who is teething.
- Parents like the noises are not louder.
- Baby can get in love with this one so quickly that parents can take care of other things.
- Some parents complain the light-up function doesn’t last long for a month.
- A few parents say their baby didn’t like it.
21. Manhattan Toy Skwish Natural Rattle and Teether
It is one of the classic and multi-sensory clutching rattle which encourages baby to reach and grasp this toy. It promotes gross motor skills development in baby. This wooden toy has elastic ties so your baby can flatten or Skwish, both ways it returns to its original shape. Its beads on the bars move one side to other and make beautiful sounds. Because of its design, it is easy to grasp for baby. It doesn’t contain any paints or dyes and it is safe for baby.
- Many parents like it and say it is light weight for their baby.
- Babies will like to throw it away and pick it.
- Many parents say their baby likes to teeth on it most of the times.
- Few parents complain that even their baby liked this toy but the balls or sides of this teether break after some days.
- Some parents say their baby doesn’t like it because of simple wooden toy with no colors.
22. Taggies Heather Hedgehog Baby Rattle
It is another form of rattle with ultra-soft fabrics which has embroidered eyes and it has a lovely smile. It has different interactive satin loop tags and this toy measures 5 inches. When you need to wash it, it needs surface wash by using cold water. As it has very soft fabric, babies would like to squeeze and shake this rattle.
- Some parents say their baby love its noises.
- Babies love its soft fabric and its tags.
- There isn’t any complain about it so far.
23. Manhattan Toy Wimmer-Ferguson Sights and Sounds Travel Activity Toy
This rattle toy has a Velcro loop at its top so you can attach to any strollers, car seats, baby carriers and cribs. It is a multi-sensory toy with several features including; clutching ring with beads and it rattles, the teether which is BPA-free, the crinkle paper flap and a hidden squeaker too. To promote visual stimulation in baby; it has researched bulls-eye and also baby face graphics. It has a hidden mirror which helps baby with self-discovery. It is ideal rattle toy for newborn babies and above.
- Many parents love that it has high contrast graphics and it is attachable so parents do not have to carry it all the time.
- Parents like its multi usage, as it can be attached to almost any stroller, crib or car seat with its Velcro.
- A few parents complained the item was poor quality.
- Some parents say the Velcro wasn’t that durable.
24. Lamaze Bitty Bite Bug Rattle
This rattle has Peekaboo flap wings which encourage your baby to touch it and it promotes tactile development in them. It has Knottie antennas and handles are textured teethers to stimulate baby’s gums. Its handles are easy to grasp for baby and develop fine motor skills in baby. Its lovely bright colors are not only attractive for baby but these stimulate visual development also.
- Because it is lightweight, it is good for babies who are few months old.
- Parents like its size as baby can hold this rattle easily.
- Some parents complain the handles are not that soft for baby.
- According to a few parents, their baby do not like it that much.
25. HABA Kringelring Wooden Baby Rattle & Clutching Toy
It is another hand-crafted rattle and clutching toy which features the sturdy elastic band and beechwood beads. It has small plastic rings on it which are constructed from the plastic which is BPA-free. It has 3.75 inches diameter it is safe for baby when they are teething on it. This toy uses water-based colors and its surface remains resistant.
- Many parents like that it is a wooden rattle instead of plastic and their babies love it for so many months.
- It is wooden and non toxic for baby and it is safe for teething babies.
- A few parents complain that the paint disappears after using for a few weeks.
- If a baby rattle is too small for your baby, make sure you stay around when your baby plays with it.
- If the baby rattle has tiny beads inside, make sure the covering material is durable so it doesn’t easily break and baby ends up having tiny beads in his mouth.
- Most wooden rattle makers say their rattles have water-based paints, before giving to your baby rinse these with water to make sure the paints do not get removed easily to confirm its quality.
- When your baby is few months old, the rattle toys should be light-weight for them.