Mostly when toddlers have mealtime, they eat in their way, which is just whether they will make the surface dirty or may mess up their clothes. The baby placemats not only keep them clean, but these also keep your baby away from germy tables or surfaces while they are eating.
The Purpose of Using the Baby Placemat
Even if your baby uses a bib for safe eating, there is still no guarantee the table surface would remain clean. At beginning age of their solid feeding, your baby may throw food here and there which results in a messy table top or any eating surface. A baby placemat with suction cups stays in the place. Not to mention the baby placemat design these days is too cute such as different animal shapes. Toddlers can grab the sticky placemat easily to throw away even if they enjoy their placemat.
So, their food remains safe in place as compared to regular dishes which they are not used to.
Here is list of top 10 baby placemats. Some of these are best-selling while others are top rated. Please continue reading:
1. Neat-Ware Table Topper (60 Count) by Neat Solutions
- This table topper keeps your kids away from germy tables whenever they eat.
- Its size is 12 inches x 18 inches.
Neat-Ware Table Topper by Neat Solutions is 60 table toppers, and these are disposable placemats and Bio-Degradable as well. These keep your children away from germs whenever they eat.
2. Tiny Diner Portable Placemat (Green color) by Summer Infant
- It constructs from the durable & flexible material, and it is easy to clean.
- Its strong suction cups keep it in the place. It is BPA-free and PVC-free also.
Tiny Diner Portable Placemat by Summer Infant is an ideal placemat for mealtime for home or when you are on travel. Its built-in scoop catches food and keeps your floor safe clean. It can be rolled easily to store somewhere whenever you are not using it.
3. Neat Solutions Table Topper (Disney Mickey Mouse – 18 Count)
- It is made by using polyethylene.
- It has a generous size of 18 x 12 inches.
Table Topper by Neat Solutions is the pack of disposable placemats which protect your kids from germs. These are polyethylene and free from harmful materials such as BPA or phthalates. These placemats provide clean eating space for your kids and these measure 18 x 12 inches.
4. Happy Mat (Blue) One Piece Silicone Placemat + Plate
- It is placemat with a plate, and it suctions to your table.
- It is Approved by FDA and Certified by CPSIA 100 percent silicone.
- This placemat is dishwasher-safe and microwave-safe as well.
Happy Mat One piece (placemat + plate) is made from 100 percent silicone. It features three compartments where you can put fruits, vegetable or various foods for your baby.
5. On-the-Go Placemat by Fisher-Price
- It features four suction cups to keep it in place while having meals.
- It is dishwasher safe and great for travels.
On-the-Go Placemat by Fisher-Price provides your children with a clean place for eating and then it can snap shut once their mealtime is over. It is made from durable and hard plastic, and its four suction cups hold it steady whenever your baby wants to eat.
6. Placemat Set (ABC & 123 – Blue/Green) by Brinware
- This placemat features various images for your babies, and they enjoy while eating.
- This placemat is dishwasher-safe for easy and complete cleaning.
Placemat Set by Brinware is slip resistant, non-toxic and durable. These placemats feature digital images or alphabets. These are easy to clean in a dishwasher on the top rack. These are made from flexible silicone, and you can roll these and carry anywhere conveniently.
7. Tinydiner Placemat (Blue) by Kiddopotamus
- This placemat is portable, and it has a built-in scoop to catch the mess to keep your baby clean.
- Its suction cups make it stay in place so your baby cannot move it or drag it while eating.
- It rolls up quickly, and you can carry it for travels.
Tinydiner Placemat by Kiddopotamus is durable and made from 100 percent waterproof material. The seven, strong suction cups make it in place on the surface or table. It can be rolled and placed in the diaper bags or other totes to store or to carry for travels.
8. Waterproof Splat Mat (On The Go) by Bumkins
- This imported splat mat is made from polyester, and it is BPA-free, Vinyl-free, Lead-free and Phthalate-free.
- It can be washed using a machine, and its size is 42 inches x 42 inches.
Waterproof Splat Mat by Bumkins prevents messes from floors whenever it’s your baby’s playtime or mealtime. It has water-proof surface and can be cleaned easily after each time your baby eats.
9. Baby Meal Mat Silicone Placemat (Elephant Hugs – Pink) by Modern-twist
- This placemat is re-usable mat which is food grade silicone and is FDA Approved.
- You can wipe it down to clean for the next use, and it can be washed using the dishwasher.
Baby Meal Mat Silicone Placemat by Modern-twist is perfect as a table top for snack time and baby meals. It is made from BPA-free and Phthalate-free silicone.
10. Silicone Children Placemat +3 Compartments Plate
- This placemat features three compartments, and this Silicone Placemat is odorless, tasteless and non-toxic.
- It is easy to clean by using soapy water, and it can be washed in the dishwasher too.
Silicone Children Placemat (3 Compartments) Plate can be used for different kinds of foods at the same time. It is easy to clean and reusable placemat. Its extra suction cup makes it stay in place easily while your kids eat their food. It is easy to wash and can also be washed in the dishwasher. It is excellent for infants with age six months and above.
3 Reasons to Use Baby Placemats:
As a parent, you may know how hard it is to make your baby eat certain foods especially when you are introducing them to a new diet or cereals. When kids are too young, it isn’t always safe to use traditional dishes to feed them, as kids might be unaware of using these and metal spoons can also be harmful to them. As with other things such as toddler dishes, the placemats should be the essential part of their everyday meals. Although, there are some excellent reasons to use baby placemats.
Keeping Their Breakfast/lunch-Time Tidy
When babies are young, and when they are introduced to solid meals, it is often difficult for them to make them eat certain foods the same way as we eat. For this reason, they may react differently and may spoil their food all over the table or any other place. A baby placemat keeps your tables or other surfaces clean and safe, while they eat their food.
Teaching Them to Use Separate Meals Separately
Most of the placemats have more than one portion, or cups for different baby foods such as cereals and fruits can be separated in built-in bowls of the placemat. It teaches your baby how to keep two different foods separate and to eat from different cups separately.
To Encourage Them by Serving in Fun Shaped Placemats
Usually, your baby might have a favorite cartoon character and color. Placemats have different fun shapes such as Mickey and Minnie, different animal characters or other shapes. Using these not only encourage them to eat their food on time but also provides them with lots of fun while their mealtime.
Types of Baby Placemats:
Baby placemats are still not that popular. Therefore, there are not enough types. But let’s talk about some of these:
Disposable Placemat for Baby:
As the name suggests, a disposable placemat is ready to use and then to throw it away. So, you do not have to worry about cleaning it. These are lightweight, affordable and come in a pack of multiple pieces. The downside of these placemats is, these usually do not have suction cups as regular silicon placemats. The purpose of these is to keep your table surface clean by one-time use for each meal.
Silicon Placemat With Suction Cups:
As we talked above, it is the most durable form of baby placemat because it sticks to the table surface and it usually has two to three built-in cups for separate baby foods. If your baby has a habit of touching food plates which is common, this placemat type would be ideal for them, because they can’t quickly move it as suction cups make it anti-slip, and food does not get spoiled by them. This type of placemat is usually called baby placemat plate. Moreover, some of these placemats have spill catcher feature which catches the food before it falls off the table.
Restaurant Placemats for Kids:
That is another form of placemat which is specially designed for those kids who get easily bored at restaurants. Parents do not prefer taking their kids to the restaurant for this very reason. There are some problem-solving or puzzle placemats which keep your kids busy playing with while parents enjoy their food and communication. This type of placemat is for grown-up kids, sorry I added this in the baby placemats article but it looked closely relevant here.
Baby Shower Placemats:
These types of placemats are suitable for parties and give your kids a homelike feel. It is also good for grown-up kids as on parties silverware is generally used. However, kids are still kids. By using such type of placemats, they do not spoil or mess the table.
Baby Placemat Bowl:
It is the same silicone or placemat but with a bowl shape. All other features are the same such as suction cups and materials.
Is Baby Placemat Necessary?
It depends, is your baby well-trained to eat food in a clean way without spoiling? Chances are he/she may still need some time before growing-up while if you care about his or her clean clothes and your table. If you use a high-chair for them, some of these come with a built-in tray with all the features to skip the placemat, but either way using a placemat can be convenient for you and your baby.
Is There Any Alternative?
When we talk about features of a placemat with suction, nothing comes closer to it. But there is still an alternative called suction plate by Sugarbooger. It is a regular plate for kids with suction tab below. It keeps the plate firm on a high chair with table. However, Understanding from different reviews by parents, you should be little bit creative here. Even if your kid can’t move the plate from the table, you should move its table against their face so they do not even notice and try to open it.
DIY Baby Placemats:
Now this DIY trend is going on everywhere. So, why shouldn’t you also try to make baby placemats by your own. If you learn to do it, you can!
This is the best DIY tutorial is by Kathy who has a complete tutorial on her site on how to make a washable placemat. And she explains why to cover little gaps between your toddler and the table to avoid spilling of food.
Baby Placemat Benefits:
As you understand how many problems a placemat can solve from your baby’s understanding and training to feed himself to keeping your furniture tidy and mess-free. Whether it is a travel or a picnic, you can keep a good quality placemat with you by rolling it and storing in a bag.
- Most of the silicone or rubber placemats shouldn’t be rolled up for a long time. Because, in the end, it may make it difficult for you to unroll and stick to the table surface as it is plastic, and it changes with time if it is folded in a specific shape.
- Like different things you should make sure the placemat is BPA free and free from any harmful materials because your babies have to eat in that.